Monday, April 28, 2008

Running My 1st Marathon Experience

So I completed my first marathon. I have to tell you it feels amazing. I know I've talked to most of you since it's happened but I really wanted to do some recaps.
My Time, I honestly had no real care about my "time" whatever i ran would A) be ok and B) would also be a personal best sooo either way win win. But my times and placing are at the bottom.
Overall including half marathon runners there were more than 30,000 participants of those 30,000 only 4373 participated in the full marathon. So what went ... during and after the race? Well here's an idea of the kind of stuff I use during the race:






  • peanut butter and a bagel

  • water...lots of water
  • Gatorade don't just drink water! Replentish the electrolytes!
  • Your bib...duh
  • Stop watch I use mine to make sure I'm not going too fast out of the gate

  • Sunglasses
  • Sunscreen
  • Your singlet
  • Fuel belt, in case you get thirsty before a water/Gatorade station

Here is my time for the marathon, this includes different mile markers as well:

  • Full Marathon Time: 5 hours 18 minutes 58 Seconds
  • Average mile time: 12 minutes 10 seconds

Time at the following markers:

  • 5k: 36:58
  • 6 mile: 1:11:44
  • 10 mile: 1:58:15
  • Half (13.1 miles): 2:37:20
  • 20 mile: 4:02:18

In all the experience was unlike any other. Running for that long feeling so totally free of life and problems. There was mental challenges and rough spots along the way, but in all my training was wonderful the coaches and everyone did a great job of prepping us for what laid ahead and honestly I couldn't have imagined preparing for a marathon, especially my first without the coaches. It was incredible. Crossing the finish line, all the reasons I started down the path to running and all the reasons I know now why I am running for rushes to my head and if I could have cried, I would have. I was exhausted mentally & physically at the end. I called 5 people and couldn't compose a decent sentence I don't think, it was overwhelming. I still can't really put into words what it felt like to run 26.2 miles. If you've never run you may not understand it, or what I'm talking about. If you have then you understand. It transcends words and emotions. All I know is I'm excited to run again, excited for another season of TNT and to continue to run for Robert Schultze and his family. I'm sure I'll post a follow up with race pictures soon once they become available. But I really want to send a big thank you and everyone who donated support, effort, energy, time and money. It means the world. Just think, we do it all over again in a month! So if you didn't get a chance to donate...there's another opportunity for you! =o)

Here are some other photos from my marathon experience:

My inspiration to run and start training for my second marathon in October

Words of encouragement from friends, mentor and my personal everyday inspiration "Silly"

My TNT Friends, great group of peeps!

No comments: