Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Race Anxiety

So I wanted to take a general step back and talk about something I'm experiencing, mostly because I believe most runners, well new runners (I'm not sure if experinced runners get this too) but I will tell you this much it is pretty much the most nerve wracking experience of my life. Why? Not because I don't feel prepared but just the magnitude of running 26.2 miles. It's wild, and crazy to think about. It's always something I've said no way, could never even run to the mailbox to do.

Physically I've lost weight since I started nearly 5 months ago, but I don't feel I look all that different. One thing I've really discovered about running, is that it's truly more mind over matter. That there are points in a race where you have to will yourself to keep going. Yes you have to listen to your body still but there are times where you want to stop and say "fuck it, I can't go on" but it's at that point you have to really dig deep. See running a marathon is more about your mental conditioning as much as it is physical conditioning.

Some tips that I've found VERY comforting. Surround yourself with good supportive people because you will freak out a little, and it's good to have some reassuring friends, drink water and gatorade after all water is good but remember to replace all the things water flushes out, eat right, pasta and carbs are good! =o) Most of all enjoy your experience as you get to the start line look around and remember how far you've come and now all you need to do is go another 26.2 miles. Hey you've done all the hard work, ran step over step and mile over mile. This is just a formaility for you. Enjoy it, bask in the moment because they don't come around very often.

No comments: